March of Dimes Canada has been building an inclusive society since 1951, improving the lives and livelihoods of people with disabilities. The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) represents our first legislative milestone in Canada. March of Dimes Canada, will continue to promote and lead the way to a more inclusive society by facilitating full compliance with, and demonstrating leadership in, the Customer Service Standard (O. reg. 429/07) of the AODA in advance of its legislative requirements.
Our Pillars of Commitment
- We will ensure that our goods and services are readily accessible to all customers, including those with disabilities.
- We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that our policies, practices and procedures are consistent with our core principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity.
- We will set a policy on allowing people to use their own personal assistive devices to access our goods and use our services.
- We will communicate with a person with a disability in a manner that takes into account his or her disability.
- We will allow people with disabilities to be accompanied by their guide dog or service animal, unless the animal is excluded by another law.
- We will permit people to use a support person while accessing our goods or services.
- We will provide notice ahead of time on what admission, if any, would be charged f or a support person of a person with a disability.
- We will provide notice when facilities or services that people with disabilities rely on to access or use our goods or services are temporarily disrupted.
- We will train staff, volunteers, contractors, third parties who may represent us, and any other people involved in the provision of our goods or services on a number of topics to ensure compliance, and demonstrate leadership, with the Customer Service standard.
- We will offer opportunities for people to give feedback on how we provide goods or services to people with disabilities, and on how we will respond to any feedback and take action on any complaints.